As almost anyone what they could use more of and there answer is likely to be: happiness. We all want more joy in our lives. And engendering feelings of joy may be easier than you think. The next time you’re feeling down, try these simple tips to boost your mood and overall sense of happiness.
- Take three to five deep breaths. This is a great way to start the day, or to calm yourself when you feel upset or frazzled. Close your eyes, smile, inhale all that is good, and exhale what isn’t needed.
- Move your body. Find something you can do each day to get your blood circulating, and don’t be afraid to break a sweat. Whether it’s simple or serious, just move!
- Do what you love. What activities make you happy? We all have hobbies that we love, even if we haven’t done them for a while. Create opportunities for fun each day – it’s critical to your happiness.
- Find people who bring out the best in you. Avoid people who drain your energy or encourage bad habits. Seek out people who inspire you to grow. At any age, you can find positive role models and mentors who inspire you.
- Practice gratitude. Focus on what’s good in your life. When you acknowledge all the little things that you have to be thankful for, you inevitably feel better. Document your own gratitude and express gratitude to others. You’ll find that gratitude can greatly help you to shift your perspective.
Remember: Happiness can’t be bought, but it is something you can find within yourself, and that you can cultivate within your own life. Try these tips and celebrate your unique life experience.
— By Penny Vittoria, Successful Aging Coach